When starting a new relationship, many women (and men as well) tend to overlook some behaviors in their new partner that do not bode well for the future. Then, down the road, comes the exclamation ‘If I had only known…’. As a woman who experienced domestic abuse first hand, I can admit there were early signs I myself neglected, that go all the way back to the beginning of our relationship. Hopefully you won’t make the same mistake I did. Here are some ‘Red Flags’ to watch out for in a new partner.
- He makes decisions about where to go with little or no input from you.
- He belittles your opinion when the two of you are alone and may call you names.
- He makes degrading remarks about you i front of others and may talk about you as if you were not there.
- He may be rough during love making and make you engage in acts you do not like.
- He does not want to spend time with your friends or family and insists you socialize with his people.
- He will not acknowledge your areas of expertise and may put down what you do in the workplace or ignore your accomplishments.
- He may openly flirt with other women and accuse you of being jealous when you object.
- He gets angry and loses his temper over trivialities.
- He stays angry for a long time and attempts to blame all arguments on you.
- He may hit wall when he get angry.
The most amazing factor to me, is that he comes off very strong in the beginning of your relationship, sweeps you off your feet and wants to be exclusive with you quickly. The thing is many women feel flattered by this and as a result overlook the inappropriateness of it. This should not be confused with love at first sight in any way.
There are many other factors that could be listed – but if the man in your life begins displaying the above qualities, realize it will not get better, only worse. He will likely be unwilling to discuss his emotions openly and feel that women are the inferior sex.
If this describes your man, run. Do not walk out of his life. Run for the hills and do not look back. The next step will be when it gets really ugly.